The SA Funeral Industry Regulatory Authority (FIRA) is mandated to provide a range of services, which include but not limited to the following:
* Complaints handling
* Alternative dispute resolution through appropriate mechanisms.
* Conducting investigations on individual and group complaints on participants within the funeral industry.
* Creating consumer awareness and education.
* Training and development – to support and encourage continued staff training and development
* Ensuring compliance with national legislation, regulations and policies applicable to the funeral industry.
* Providing quarterly and annual reports on FIRA and related issues, including statistics, number of cases referred to the Office of the Ombud, number of cases resolved, average turn-around times, nature and origin of complaints.